Brazil will return to the scene of their most harrowing defeat in recent history when they meet Argentina in a World Cup qualifier later this year.
The Brazilian football confederation (CBF) said on Thursday that the arch rivals will clash at Belo Horizonte’s Mineirao stadium in November. The exact date of the fixture is yet to be confirmed.
Here are things that you need to know about it:
1. The Selecao have not played at the Mineirao since their 7-1 loss to Germany in the semifinals of the 2014 World Cup, their worst ever defeat in football’s showpiece tournament.
2. After the duel with Argentina , Brazil will travel to Peru for their last World Cup qualifier of the year.
3. The five-time World Cup winners are currently sixth in the South American zone standings for the 2018 tournament in Russia with just two wins from their first six matches.
4. Only the top four teams are guaranteed a World Cup place while the fifth-ranked side will earn a playoff spot.
5. Former Corinthians coach Tite was this week named as Brazil’s new coach, replacing Dunga, who was sacked after the team’s group-stage elimination from the Copa America.