The 30-year-old is expected to remain available for Barcelona despite struggling to overcome the problem, sustained during Barcelona’s Spanish Supercup defeat to Real Madrid in August.
“The medical department of Barcelona has proposed that Luis Suarez undertake medical and physiological treatment for a week from November 11 in order to continue the rehabilitation of his right knee,” the Uruguayan Football Association (AUF) said in a statement.
Suarez’s absence gives Uruguay boss Oscar Tabarez an opportunity to make some alterations in the squad. Uruguay has a rich supply of young minds which include 21-year-old Maximiliano Gómez who has been sensational for RC Celta de Vigo, another player who can make difference in Suarez’s absence is Girona’s Cristhian Stuani.
Suarez has been struggling for goals in the early stages of the season but despite his misfiring form Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde has backed the striker.
“He scored last Sunday so I think we can leave him in peace for a while,” Valverde said in Barcelona vs Sporting CP post-match conference.
“He didn’t score today, of course we want him to score always, he is our striker, but he is a player that is always near the goal.
“He had a good opportunity but couldn’t score but he is always close to scoring and he was close today for the goal we did score. But Luis scored this week and he will score again.”
The player will not participate in the friendly games planned for November 10 and 14 against Poland and Austria.”
The friendlies will be Uruguay’s first matches since they secured a place in the 2018 World Cup by beating Bolivia 4-2 in their final qualifier earlier this month.