10 Things You Didn’t Know About The Greatest Footballer Ever: LIONEL MESSI
Lionel Messi’s journey from being just another kid on the streets to being the god of the beautiful game is truly unreal.
1. At 17, he became the youngest player in history to score a goal for Barcelona.
2. Barcelona sporting director Carles Rexach was so impressed with Messi’s skills with the ball, that he offered to pay his medical bills and move his family to Spain and sign him when he was just 13. He first signed on a paper napkin as there were no sheets available at that moment.
3. His international debut for Argentina lasted just 47 seconds when he received a red card after coming on as a substitute.
4. Messi also has an Olympic gold medal from the 2008 Beijing Games.
6. Messi is the only player in the last 100 hundred years to have scored 25 goals in a calendar year during international competition with both his club and his country.
7. He was once offered a chance to play for the Spanish national team but he said no.
8. If Barcelona happen to cancel his contract, for whatever reason, they will have to pay up over USD 330 million for a breach in contract.
9. Messi is a Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF. He also works in support of people suffering from Fragile X Syndrome (a type of autism).
10. Whenever he scores a goal, his simple celebration of raising his arms in the air is a gesture of gratitude to his grandmother who passed away when he was 10.