Sepp Blatter, Michel Platini Banned By FIFA For Eight Years
FIFA has banned Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini for eight years from football after finding them guilty of abusing their positions over a USD 2 million payment that was made to the suspended head of European football.
Two of the most powerful men in world soccer, Blatter and Platini, were handed eight-year bans from the game on Monday, making them the highest-profile casualties of the sprawling investigations into corruption and ethical wrongdoing at FIFA.
Both were “immediately” banned from all football activity. Blatter, FIFA’s president since 1998, was fined 50,000 Swiss francs (USD 50,000/46,300 euros). Platini was fined 80,000 Swiss francs.
A statement by the court said both showed “abusive execution” of their powers. In the case of Platini, the court said he “failed to act with complete credibility and integrity, showing unawareness of the importance of his duties.”
The ban imposed by FIFA’s Ethics Committee effectively rules out the 79-year-old from any future role in the game. Platini, the head of European soccer’s governing body, has argued the case was prejudiced against him.
Both men are expected to appeal the suspensions, first at FIFA, and eventually to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. They have denied all wrongdoing.
Blatter and Platini were found guilty of ethics code breaches surrounding a two million Swiss franc (£1.35m) “disloyal payment” made to the Frenchman in 2011.
German judge Hans-Joachim Eckert, the chairman of FIFA’s adjudicatory chamber, held disciplinary hearings for the pair last week and announced his findings and any sanctions on Monday morning.