Chelsea have announced the signing of Belgian forward Michy Batshuayi from Marseille for a fee in the region of £33m.
Batshuayi was in spectacular form last season with 17 Ligue 1 goals to his name. The 22-year old striker finished fourth in the league’s scoring charts, just behind Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Edinson Cavani and Alexandre Lacazette.
The talented Belgian striker was under the radar of several Premier League clubs this summer. Earlier reports had confirmed that Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace and West Ham United were the other clubs who were keen on securing the services of the striker this summer transfer window.
Earlier this week Crystal Palace’s club-record £32million bid for Batshuayi was accepted by Marseille, but the striker chose to reject the offer.
However the Blues and their new Italian coach Antonio Conte has beaten all competition to bring Batshuayi at Stamford Bridge.
— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) July 3, 2016
After a successful medical last week, the new five-year contract with Chelsea will keep the striker at the club until 2021.
“I am delighted to sign for one of the biggest clubs in Europe and embark on the next chapter in my career. I hope I can help Chelsea win many trophies during my time at Stamford Bridge,” said Batshuayi.
“Eden Hazard and Thibaut Courtois have told me many good things about the club, and with Antonio Conte coming in it’s an exciting time to become a Chelsea player.”
“This is a fantastic opportunity for myself and my family, I am looking forward to playing in the Premier League next season,” he added.
After a disastrous 10th place finish in the 2015/16 Premier League campaign, Chelsea have released their two loan signings Alexandre Pato and Radamel Falcao.
Other rumours surrounding Chelsea also suggest that Loic Remy is on the brink of leaving the club, while Diego Costa is linked with a move to former club Atletico Madrid. Chelsea are still in the race to secure the signature of Real Madrid forward Alvaro Morata.