de boer leaves netherlands

Frank de Boer leaves role as Netherlands manager after shock Euro 2020 exit

has left his job as manager of the after a shock European Championship last-16 defeat by the Czech Republic.

De Boer, 51, was appointed last September to replace Ronald Koeman, who had already taken the side into the Euros before taking over at Barcelona.

The Dutch topped Group C by winning all three games, but their 10 men were beaten 2-0 by the Czechs on Sunday. A statement said both parties “will separate with immediate effect”.

 

It means De Boer will now depart from his post, less than a year after he succeeded Ronald Koeman in the role, with the Dutch FA announcing that it was a decision both parties agreed on – having failed to reach the quarter-final of the tournament as had been stipulated in his contract.

The former Atlanta United and Crystal Palace manager was always likely to be under pressure after that defeat. He has now left his role.

 

 

WHAT THE DUTCH FA SAID

A statement said: “After consultations in Zeist between Nico-Jan Hoogma, Eric Gudde, Frank de Boer and his agent Guido Albers this afternoon, it has been decided that both parties will separate with immediate effect.

“De Boer has announced that he does not want to continue, which is also in line with the contract between both parties, which required a place in the quarter-finals. “That contract will not be renewed.”

 

 

Holland’s director of football, Nico-Jan Hoogma, added: ‘Despite all of Frank’s efforts, the goal of at least reaching the quarterfinals has not been achieved.

‘If that had not been achieved, we would evaluate, which could possibly have produced a different outcome. We had bet on a better European Championship, but that didn’t work out.

‘The choice for Frank turned out differently than we had hoped. A successor must now be found by me, after good internal consultation. It is imperative to do so, because September 1st we will be playing the important qualifier against Norway in Oslo.

‘We will now evaluate further, broader than just the coach, sharpen the profile, do the work that can be expected of us here.’

 

WHAT HAS FRANK DE BOER SAID?

He said: “I have decided not to continue as manager.

“The objective wasn’t achieved, that was clear so in anticipation of the evaluation of our tournament, I’ve decided not to continue,” De Boer stated.

“It was an honour and a challenge. I was aware of the pressure that would come upon me from the moment I was appointed and that has only increased, which isn’t a healthy situation for me nor the squad in the build-up to World Cup qualification.”

De Boer added: ‘When I was approached to become national coach in 2020, I thought it was an honour and a challenge, but I was also aware of the pressure that would come upon me from the moment I was appointed.

‘That pressure is only increasing now, and that is not a healthy situation for me, nor for Dutch football on its way to World Cup qualification. I want to thank everyone, of course the fans and the players.

‘My compliments also to the management who have created a real top sports climate here on campus.”

 

 

Netherlands captain Georginio shared his disappointment at the elimination with an Instagram post on Tuesday.

He wrote: ‘After taking some time with the team to start process this huge painful disappointment, I would like to thank all the fans for their fantastic support during the tournament and congrats to the Czech Republic for reaching the next round.

‘I’m very sorry to all the fans that we didn’t reach our goal and were knocked out this way.

‘It’s going to be a tough time to get back where we want to be, but we have to process this very quickly and then put all our energy into the qualifications for the World Cup. We have to come back stronger together.’

Regarding potential replacements for the departed Dutch manager, it is unclear as yet who will take over.

 

You don't have permission to register