After a devastating season, fans are expecting some positive things from the newly appointed coach Antonio Conte.
The 46 year old had an amazing career as a manager.
- He helped Bari win the Serie B title in 2008-09.
- He saved Siena from relegation
- Conte shaped the new Juventus, making them the Italian giants once more.
He is expected to do the same with Chelsea. Bringing back the winning mentality in the Chelsea squad will be his primary task.
Conte, in a very Jose Mounrinho-esque way, is a strict coach; which is needed to bring discipline back in the squad and win matches. He uses 3-5-2 as the primary formation. But it is a concern in EPL, as ex-Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal had tried to implement it but failed to deliver the results.
3-5-2 consists of 3 center halves, 2 wing backs, 3 center midfielders and 2 strikers. For this formation you need a team with pace; especially in the center half and the wing back positions. Seeing the current Chelsea squad it is a bit of concern to play with the formation given.
John Terry, Branislav Ivanovic, John Obi Mikel, Gary Cahill and Diego Costa are not known for pace.
So that means Chelsea will have to sign some players in the coming transfer window. But it will be tough to lure world class players as there is no UEFA Champions League to play for.
If they come, they will only because of the Blues’ brand name while Conte’s appeal can also attract some talented players. Here is a list of possible targets:
- Antonio Rudiger: Strong and a pacy defender suitable for Conte’s style of play. Conte can lure him to Chelsea. He can be a vital addition to the squad.
- Radja Nainggolan: Another AS Roma player who is heavily linked to Chelsea. A strong midfielder and can be a spine in the lineup.
- Alvaro Morata: A talented youngster highly rated and pursued by multiple clubs.
- Kostas Manolas: Highly rated Greek and AS Roma defender pursued by multiple clubs.
- Romelu Lukaku: Football always surprises you. He may rejoin Chelsea. A typical EPL striker and a valuable addition to the squad.
Conte is also known for giving youth a chance and can also develop them into great players. With the quality Chelsea have in their academy and the loaned out players, there is a high chance many can be regularly in the first team under Conte.
So keep a lookout for these players:
- Ruben Loftus Cheek
- Bertrand Traore
- Marco van Ginkel
- Nathan Ake
- Nathaniel Chalobah
- Lewis Baker
- Charlie Colkett
- Tammy Abraham
(Vivek Kaneriya is a die-hard Chelsea supporter and member of Chelsea Hindi group based in New Delhi, India. Views and opinions expressed are solely of the authors and does not necessarily represent the outlook of FootTheBall.com)