Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Moussa Sissoko will face a three-match ban after elbowing Harry Arter in the Premier League clash against Bournemouth on Saturday.
Sissoko will not be available for the North London derby after Tottenham Hotspur accepted the charge put forward by the FA after he elbowed Bournemouth’s Arter.
The French midfielder is now set to miss three high-octane matches which includes – their visit to Liverpool, against Leicester at home followed by their trip to Arsenal at the Emirates.
Mauricio Pochettino confirmed that Spurs would not contest the charge.
Pochettino said: “After reviewing the video we accept the charge and we move forward.”
“After the game it was difficult for me to appreciate the situation.”
“Then when you see it on TV I must say there wasn’t any intention but the elbow in the face was clear.”
“We are in a period when we need all the players fit to compete and he was a player in our plans to play tomorrow.”
“But we have a strong squad and we will try to win the game.”
Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Moussa Sissoko had been charged by the FA with violent conduct after he elbowed Harry Arter in the Premier League clash against Bournemouth on Saturday.
The incident took place in the final quarter of the second half as Spurs failed to clinch a win and were held to a goalless draw against Bournemouth.
Sissoko elbowed Harry Arter during the second half at the Vitality Stadium, but he escaped any punishment as referee Craig Pawson kept the cards in his pocket after discussing the incident with his linesman.
But now the tables have turned and the FA have decided to take serious action and the French midfielder will face a three-match ban. Spurs’ new summer signing Sissoko had been given a lifeline until 6pm on Tuesday for launching a reply to the verdict. However the Premier League club decided not contest the charge.
A statement on the FA’s website read: “Moussa Sissoko has been charged for an alleged act of violent conduct which was not seen by the match officials but caught on video.”
“The Tottenham Hotspur forward was involved in an incident with AFC Bournemouth’s Harry Arter in the 79th minute of the game on Saturday [22 October 2016].”
‘He has until 6pm on Tuesday 25 October to reply.”
‘Off the ball incidents which are not seen at the time by the match officials are referred to a panel of three former elite match officials.”
“Each panel member will review the video footage independently of one another to determine whether they consider it a sending-off offence.”
“For retrospective action to be taken, and an FA charge to follow, the decision of the panel must be unanimous.”
The incident had not gone down well with Harry Arter, who vehemently opposed Sissoko’s move as both the players were involved in a tussle on the field. However, later in an interview Arter replied in a forgiving tone.
Arter said: “He caught me straight in the face and if you get hit in the face anyone would have a reaction,”
“After the game he apologised. I’m not one to hold grudges. He said sorry, he didn’t mean (to do) it, so that’s it.”
‘It looks like he elbowed me but he apologised and said it was an accident so that’s good to me.”
“At times in the heat of the battle you react differently and now I feel happy with his apology and if he didn’t mean it hopefully he doesn’t get banned.”
Arter also asserted that the referee had told him that he didn’t notice the incident and it has now let the doors open for the FA to take serious action.
“I thought it was going to be a red card at the time,” Arter added.
“The ref said he didn’t see it so it’s down to him if he does want to take any action. From my point of view I am happy with his apology.”
A three-match suspension for Sissoko could pose huge trouble for Pochettino’s Spurs, who have managed without the presence of several key players this season.
Harry Kane and Toby Alderweireld are still on the sidelines and are recovering from injuries and Mousa Dembele mangaded to make his second start for Spurs in the Premier League clash against the Cherries.