HomeNewsLiverpool Officials Say Coutinho "Not For Sale"

Liverpool Officials Say Coutinho “Not For Sale”

Published on:

Liverpool say that Brazilian midfielder Philippe Coutinho is “definitively” not for sale.

Coutinho is rumoured to be unsettled at Liverpool

On Wednesday, the Reds rejected a bid of 100 million euros (£90m) from Barcelona for the 25-year-old.

Barca’s second bid, which was rejected immediately, comprised an initial £76.8m plus £13.5m in add-ons.

In a statement on Friday, the club’s owners Fenway Sports Group club said its “definitive stance” was that “no offers will be considered”.

Coutinho to stay

It added: “Philippe will remain a member of Liverpool Football Club when the summer window closes.”

Coutinho, who scored 14 goals last season, signed a new five-year deal in January, which did not include a release clause. He joined Liverpool from Inter Milan for £8.5m in 2013.

Manager Jurgen Klopp said the Reds were not “a selling club” when Barca’s previous £72m offer was rejected in July.

Barcelona have also had a bid rejected for Borussia Dortmund’s 20-year-old forward Ousmane Dembele since they sold Brazil forward Neymar to Paris St-Germain for a world record £200m last week.

Some good news for Liverpool fans

The German club confirmed they met Barca representatives but the offer did not meet their valuation of the France international.

Vibhor Dhamija
Budding statistician who uses his backpack to cover himself if he feels cold in an air conditioned room! A passionate midfielder, and a die hard Manchester United fan, Vibhor hates losing and that is what he brings to FootTheBall apart from his most enduring trait of being a quick learner.

also read

Starboys

The moment of reckoning