This year’s Indian Premier League (IPL) will be the 16th edition of the tournament. It will be kicking off on March 31, 2023, and there will be a total of 74 matches between 10 teams. The final is scheduled on May 28, 2023, at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad.
Every cricket fan knows the significance of the IPL in the cricket scene. It’s simply one of the most prestigious tournaments that aspiring cricket players worldwide would love to be a part of.
Even if it’s a tournament based in India, it’s also the stage where international cricketers from countries like England, Australia, Wales, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka would also play. It’s also where you can watch the best of the best active cricketers play.
This year is a crucial season for the league because, finally, starting this season, the IPL will be back to its Home and Away format. This is something that many local fans will indeed look forward to, but for cricket bettors, this is also something important.
If you’ve been betting on any sport, Home advantage plays quite a role in IPL 2023 odds. That said, bettors can now consider this aspect once again, which could help them place better bets.
IPL 2023 Venues
The IPL, like most major sports events worldwide, has been greatly impacted by the pandemic, and the last three seasons had to be held in different venues. The 2020 and 2021 editions were all held in the UAE, and last year, even if it was back in India, the venues were limited.
Also, it might not be the first time that ten teams in total will play the IPL, but it is going to be a first with the Home and Away Format. Here are all the venues where the matches will be held this year:
- Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad (Gujarat Titans)
- M. Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bengaluru (Royal Challengers Bangalore)
- MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai (Chennai Super Kings)
- Arun Jaitley Stadium, Delhi (Delhi Capitals)
- Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association Stadium, Dharamshala (Punjab Kings)
- Assam Cricket Association Stadium, Guwahati (Rajasthan Royals)
- Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium, Hyderabad (Sunrisers Hyderabad)
- Sawai Mansingh Stadium, Jaipur (Rajasthan Royals)
- Eden Gardens, Kolkata (Kolkata Knight Riders)
- Ekana Cricket Stadium, Lucknow (Lucknow Super Giants)
- Inderjit Singh Bindra Stadium, Mohali (Punjab Kings)
- Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai Indians (Mumbai Indians)
IPL 2023 Format
The IPL will still be played with its regular format, which means the ten teams will be split in two for the group stage. Here are all the teams for Group A:
- Mumbai Indians
- Kolkata Knight Riders
- Rajasthan Royals
- Delhi Capitals
- Lucknow Super Giants
Meanwhile, here are the IPL teams for Group B:
- Chennai Super Kings
- Sunrisers Hyderabad
- Gujarat Titans
- Royal Challengers Bangalore
- Punjab Kings
The top four teams will then qualify for the playoffs. The first match of the season will be between Gujarat Titans and Chennai Super Kings. GT has the home-court advantage for this event as it will be played at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad.
Where to Watch the 2023 IPL Season: Broadcast Partners
Broadcasting rights for this year are still with Star Sports for television. Viacom18 has streaming rights and intends to stream live events on JioCinema. These are the options for Indian fans.
Not in India? Check the TV channels where the matches will be broadcasted outside the country:
- United Kingdom: Sky Sports Cricket, Sky Sports Main Event
- Ireland: Sky Sports Cricket
- United States: Willow TV
- Canada: WillowTV, Hotstar Canada (Online)
- Australia: Fox Sports, Yupp TV
- New Zealand: Sky Sport NZ
- Middle East: Times Internet
- South Africa: SuperSport
- Singapore: StarHub
- Caribbean: Flow Sports
- Pakistan: Geo Super (TBC)
- Bangladesh: Gazi YV
- Afghanistan: Radio Television Afghanistan (RTA)
- Nepa: YuppTV, Net TV Nepal, SimTV Nepal
- Sri Lanka: YuppTV, SLRC, DialogTV, PeoTV
- Maldives: YuppTv, MediaNet
Other streaming partners aside from Viacom18 are YuppTv, Foxtel, and StarHub. You can also experience live commentaries on the radio by tuning in to Cricket Radio, 89.1 Radio 4 FM, Gold 101.3 FMm, and TalkSport.
Aside from the IPL itself, many cricket fans are also looking forward to seeing one of the best cricketers of all time one last time on the IPL field. MS Dhoni is set to retire after this year.
Will CSK give MS Dhoni another win as the ultimate send-off? We can only wait and see. The first match of the TATA IPL 2023 season will be on March 31, 2023.