A picture is worth a thousand words. But, for Mason Greenwood, it was a fate far worse than just a thousand words. The Manchester United youngster was embroiled in controversy when photos of Harriet Robson, her girlfriend, uploaded pictures, videos and audio clips on her account that suggested she was a victim of physical abuse. “To everyone who wants to know what Mason Greenwood actually does to me,” the caption said.
— Wilshere (@kb_gyan) March 31, 2022
This issue immediately erupted with Manchester United suspending the player. He was later arrested. He came out on bail but has been away from all the limelight. And with him gone, Manchester United are now looking for reinforcements in the summer transfer window.
Where is Mason Greenwood?
Despite keeping a low profile since his arrest, Mason Greenwood was spotted for the first time on April 1, driving a car around Cheshire while being clad in a Cartier balaclava.
But fans on social media suddenly started asking about his whereabouts after discovering that Greenwood’s profile was still present on Manchester United’s website. It is to be noted that United had barred him from the club and its premises. In addition, his profile was also removed, which was the reason for fans wondering whether he may be reinstated into the team.
However, Manchester Evening News journalist Samuel Luckhurst reported that his profile was only removed from the club’s app and not the website. This means that the club’s stance on the issue has remained the same.
On Mason Greenwood's profile, it was removed from the United app when he was removed from the squad in January to exclude him from interactive elements. His profile has always been listed on the desktop website as he's an #mufc player. Club say Greenwood's status hasn't changed.
— Samuel Luckhurst (@samuelluckhurst) March 31, 2022
This prompted replies from several fans who wanted Greenwood back on the team. Some fans even went as far as proclaiming that he is innocent and raised suspicions about Harriet Robson’s claim.
Several fans also said that Greenwood was one of the few positives in a season where they suffered humiliating defeats.
And with cases such as these taking months or even years to conclude, it could be a long time before Greenwood (if he is acquitted on all the charges) takes the field.
There has also been no significant reporting on him in the media.
Is Mason Greenwood still a Manchester United?
Yes, he still is. Despite being suspended by the club, he remains a player. And the club have not taken the step to terminate his contract. The reason may be simple if Greenwood in the future is declared free of all charges, the act of terminating his contract will be deemed unlawful. Under these circumstances, Greenwood could sue the club, which could be more than what his contract is worth.
Meanwhile, Greenwood’s sponsor, Nike, had no such difficulty as they ended their contract with the player without any payment. However, the American multinational corporation had a clause in the contract which helped them. Under the clause, if Greenwood’s actions caused damage to Nike’s reputation and a loss of commercial value, the agreement could be immediately terminated.
What next for Mason Greenwood?
His current bail expires on April 30. So, until then, he is free to move, considering he follows all the bail rules. It remains to be seen whether his bail will be extended or he will go back to jail. Manchester United have made it clear until the legal proceedings come to an end, Greenwood will not be back.
Even if he is acquitted (which would take a long time), United could settle with the player for premature termination.
- January 30, 2022: Pictures of a bloodied, bruised Harriet Robson appear on her Instagram account. Though later deleted, the images went viral on various social media platforms.
- January 30, 2022: Greater Manchester Police released a statement. “Greater Manchester Police were made aware earlier today (Sunday, January 30) of online social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence. An investigation was launched, and following enquiries, we can confirm a man in his 20s has since been arrested on suspicion of rape and assault. He remains in custody for questioning. Enquiries are ongoing,” the statement said
- January 30, 2022: Manchester United released a statement on the same day suspending Greenwood. “Mason Greenwood will not return to training or play matches until further notice,” the statement read.
- January 30, 2022: Reports emerge that Mason Greenwood has been arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and threat to kill.
- January 31, 2022: Greenwood is further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault.
- February 1, 2022: Manchester United issues a new statement on the issue. “Manchester United reiterates its strong condemnation of violence of any kind. As previously communicated, Mason Greenwood will not train with, or play for, the club until further notice,” the statement read.
- February 1, 2022: Mason Greenwood is removed from FIFA 22 offline modes.
- February 2, 2022: Greenwood is released on bail. The bail expiry date is set for April 30.
- February 4, 2022: Harriet Robson issues a statement for the first time since her photos went viral. “I’m grateful to everyone that has sent messages of support and encouragement – thank you. “The last few days have been very difficult, and I’m taking a break from social media while the police make their investigations,” she wrote on Instagram.
- February 7, 2022: Nike terminates their contract with Greenwood.
- February 7, 2022: PES and FIFA removed Greenwood from their games.
- February 25, 2022: Greenwood is removed from Football Manager 22
- April 1, 2022: Mason Greenwood is spotted for the first time since the allegations.
- April 30, 2022: The expiry date of Greenwood’s bail.